Sunday 22 May 2016

Week 26 - APC - Current issues in my professional context:


The Ego has Landed

What is the organisational culture (collective values/principles) that underpins your practice?

Up until last year the staffing retention and staff changes at the school has been relatively stable for quite some time. We have a wide range of teacher ages, some nearing retiring, others that are new to teaching and some in the middle of their teaching career. The environment seemed a positive and close-knit one. Teachers I worked with were supportive of each other and work together for the benefit of the students. In the Science department it was always a 'open house' to sharing ideas and visiting others classroom and in general a very positive environment to be in. This nurturing and supportive environment allowed my own teaching practice to grow by allowing me to have the confidence to share my ideas, take on constructive criticism and feedback from others and also being encourage to try out a vast array of different learning ideas and pedagogy styles within my own classrooms. It always felt safe to fail and to take things back to the drawing board and revisit an idea from a different and/or more informed angle. Our values at the school focused around 'Teamwork, Respect and Integrity'. This was talked about in assembly and staff meetings and from where I sat I always felt secure, safe and even encouraged to try new ideas within my practice and gained confidence from the support and feedback I received from my peers and superiors.  
As a whole school we would focus on improving student achievement by initiative such as 'Amber student'. During this time staff would collaborate to support students who were border line for passing their NCEA Level 1 and discuss strategies that we had found useful and ideas that would maybe benefit others. We also attended morning PD to collaborate and learn skills that would enable us to improve literacy school-wide by incorporating the ideas learnt into our individual subject programs. The environment was often jovial and again it was easy to reach out and gain support from colleague or also to collaborate with others and share ideas within the group. 
Last year, it often felt we had stopped moving forward as much and I became aware that our school as a whole appeared to be behind the times a little with regards to other schools and the changes that were taking place to better suit the needs of the 21st Century student. Last year saw the retirement of some significant staff members, the Science HOD, DP and Principal and we now have a new Principal and a relatively new Senior Leadership Team. 
Source: https://twitter.com/manitoulinarts/status/697464841158656003
What are the current issues in your community of practice? How would your community of practice address them? 
At present, I am not finding the goals, values and direction of the way we are wanting to move the school forward very clear. I suppose it is because it is quite early in the year and the leaders are finding their way also in their new role. It often feels that during PD sessions we are just being given lots of information but little time to reflect, collaborate and discuss ideas and learn from our each other. I think its also because everything is being just set up new and new goals and values are being compiled. One of the ways I have tried to support other that are feeling the same are by sharing key articles or literature on ideas such as inquiry learning and goal setting via email.
A suggestion of having smaller PLG's has been made and I think this would be really beneficial and would really like to be a part of this. Having time to meet with others and share and discuss ideas in a supportive and trusted group could be beneficial not only to building the school climate and culture but also for improving the quality of programs being offered and learning that is taking place in the classroom. 
I sometimes have informal short 'chats' with others who are trialing new things or who are interesting in things I have been doing in my classroom. I would like to get out there and move forward more in this direction but I get the feeling it is not the right time? I suppose it doesn't feel like an environment where it is safe for me to do so at this moment in time. I have had my 'wings clipped' by a few situations when I have given feedback or shared innovative ideas and this has made me less incline to speak out and discuss the issue. 
I also get the feeling that there are lots of ego's at play at present. I also sense that some teachers are feeling uncomfortable with having to collaborate and share their teaching practice with others, and even their subject area, as we move forward rather silently towards a more future orientated learning environment. At present, I think I can just try to build relationships with others within my school and continue to collaborate with the teachers that are interested in sharing ideas and reflecting on their practices. Engaging in the Mindlab CoP also allows a way to reflect, listen to others, share ideas and learn new ways to improve classroom practices, work better with others and improve my students learning experience.
From taking part in the Mindlab course I have been trialing new innovative ideas and initiatives that are more in-line with 21st century teaching and learning practices. Within the old environment, these ideas would of been actively highlighted and encouraged and feedback would of been received on them, but it doesn't actually feel like this happening at the moment and if anything I seem to getting some negative feedback, especially with regards to the digital technology initiatives. It appears, as a Ag/Hort teacher, I am treating on the toes of other subject area teachers. It appears ego's have a large chunk to play when trying to create a professional collaborative environment and appears to be one of the current issues in our community of practice.
This situation has allowed me see and highlight the fact that people ego's are sensitive to this change and in some situations some teachers are not keen to share or collaborate. This obviously makes it difficult to move forwards into a new era of education when not all are willing to work in a collaborative manner, or are resist to change or sharing. 
I teach in a subject area where often it is not the teachers first subject and they come in with little resources or knowledge of the subject. I am Science trained but moved into Ag/Hort later on in my teaching career. It has been reassuring to be part of a professional learning group outside of the school and interesting to see how well it works. When I first started teaching Ag/Hort I knew little but I attended 'moderation days' each year and during these days, more experience teachers would kindly share resources and ideas freely, to us 'frantic', new teachers of Ag/Hort. Obviously those frantic teachers, showed their appreciation with a gift of a bottle of wine or two. ha. As the years progress, I find myself now in the situation of sharing my resources to new (and frantic) teachers on the moderation days. I am still waiting for my bottle of wine, ha. I think this collaboration and willingness to share ideas and resources is one of the many benefits of working with others in a collaborative environment and one that benefits our students, school and reduces the stress of the already overworked teacher.
Source: http://shifting-vibration.com/2015/09/is-ego-good-or-bad/
My questions if you are reading this blog
How do you encourage and enable collaborative practices within your school?
How do you enable the reluctant teacher to feel that it is safe for them take down their protective barriers and let go of their ego's and embrace being part of a collaborative group?
What do you do if a teacher totally refuses to become involved and participate within a group?
What advice would you give to me on how to build collaborative relationships with others and breakdown those silos between subject areas without getting the backs up of the individual subject teachers involved?



References:
Hongboontri, C., & Keawkhong, N. (2014). School Culture: Teachers' Beliefs, Behaviors, and Instructional Practices. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 39(5), 66-88. Retrieved from http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2332&context=ajte
Stoll (1998). School Culture. School Improvement Network’s Bulletin 9. Institute of Education, University of London. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Understanding-school-cultures/School-Culture

Wilson, M. Building a culture of Success. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8Bjz-OCD8 


9 comments:

  1. Hi there, I loved the quote about collaboration not being about egos, which is why I clicked on to your blog post. In reference to some of your questions, I'd say just keep inquiring into your own practice with the intention of how it makes a difference for your learners, and then share those outcomes with enthusiasm (not overly enthusiastic as some might get put off), but I find teachers like to hear what worked and that how you made it manageable as a teacher. In my school, whenever we've gathered student voice and evidence (especially videos) of kids sharing their learning outcomes/ work...this speaks more than you preaching on about stuff. It gets past teachers own egos (especially if you share it in a way that is celebrating with the kids what they are learning/ haven learnt)...and focuses teachers on possibilities for their practice. When you share too with humility some of your learning (that has come out of taking a risk, making mistakes, etc)...you are modelling that you yourself are a learner, and it gives permission to step aside from our egos and remind ourselves that if we are to teach- we have to model what it means to learn for our learners.
    It also sounds like perhaps what may have been missed was considering the 'norms' for how the staff has worked in the past, and what will work going forward. It's kind of like taking over parenting an existing whanau/ family...when you don't firstly stop to recognise there are some already deeply embedded norms about how you worked together previously...getting these out there and then creating an opportunity to build on these norms and explore new ways of working (so that the norms become a living document that is revisited as you are building new ways of relating to one another).
    All the best...we are all on that journey so you're not alone in this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your reply. The SLT have spoken about student voice and us focusing more on this so I will try to set up some video conferencing to ask the learners how they have found the ideas I have been trialing and what they found useful and what they didn't find useful. I suppose when there is big change at the top it takes a while for things to settle and for the school to all move forwards together in a new direction. I wonder what questions you ask the students to assess how effective your initiative have been? Would you mind sharing some of the questions you ask. As you say I am the learner as well as the students and I am keen to develop my understanding and skills. I am also aware that this is only how it seems to me and may not seem at all like this for another staff member, and the skill is being able to look from different angles, and seeing it from other points of view. This is something which I sometimes struggle with but I am very keen to improve on this skills. Thanks again Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison, questions on collaboration are pertinent to me also as I start teaching at a new school and learn how to collaborate with new teachers. There are levels of collaboration that take place from collaborative planning and documents to finding ways to listen to student voice and include it in the environment of the classroom. Collaboration by its nature needs to be a two way street and if students or staff are resistant to it, the best approach is probable gently, gently.
    Depending on the experience and teaching style of staff, some teachers may find the idea of collaboration as a challenge to the "way they have always done things."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reply Loren, it makes me think about the key competencies and how we expect all our students to embrace end engage in develop their own skills but then we look at ourselves and wonder if we are also demonstrating and modelling them in a positive light. I am not a leader or responsible for a department with any other staff in it, my reflections is just on what I have observed of the culture and the challenges that a person in charge of other staff must be faced with and how they go about encouraging others who are not keen to open their classroom pedagogy up for others to see or work as a team for the greater good of the students learning.

      Delete
  4. Hi Alison,
    I know the challenges of a new principal, having had 10 over the last 18 years. Keeping your head down hoping that things come right is one option but not one that always remains true to you.
    Your top priority is to remain challenged and taking those risks but be sure of the educational theories and research that supports them. You know why you are doing it but be prepared to share those reasons - confidently.

    In this time of change or lack of change, you need to build up a support team around you. Like you suggested, met with a smaller group to share your responses to a reading or buddy up with a 'critical friend' - someone who can ask those challenging questions and that you can bounce ideas off. Doing this within the school will share the growth but if all else fails, find a support team outside the school - like Mindalb colleagues and Twitter.

    In regards to enabling reluctant teachers - show them the benefits of collaboration, sharing resources, ideas and inspiration. Keep badgering them gently and never give up. Some of them are simply scared of doing it a different way and need your support to take that risk.

    Allana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Allan, 10 in 18 years! That sounds like some sort of record. Thank you for your advice and comments on the blog. I think doing the Mindlab course has opened my thinking and learning to ways that I was not aware of before. I have faith in the new Principal and am confidence that their is a good plan, but maybe I am just not suppose to think about that on a higher level but because of doing the Mindlab course my thinking is different and I am curious to know what way we are going to push forward and eager to do so and to reap the benefits for my students. It was said the other day by a member of staff that I am a bit ahead of my time with regards to what is happening in the school and 21st learning (thanks to Mindlab) and so maybe I just need to have a bit of patience and like you say 'keep my head down'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My appologies Allana, on the above reply...I missed the 'a'off the end of your name and don't seem to be able to edit it. Sorry

      Delete
  6. Callum Dickison 23 May 2016

    Hi Alison, What a great Blog as you have so many things going in it that others can relate to so thanks for opening that all up with your brave and dogged stance. One of the things that I picked up from reading through comments made is the elements of change and all that goes with it, a sorting out process where cultures reflect on who they are as a group with all having their say before choosing specific goals when new leaders come in. So this may help - schools are made up of small teams that combine to form bigger teams and even bigger teams that eventually become one big team. So this guy Tuckman has done some research and he has put together the following - The forming–storming–norming–performing model of group development was first proposed by Bruce Tuckman in 1965, [1] who mentioned that these phases are all necessary and inevitable in order for the team to grow, to face up to challenges, to tackle problems, to find solutions, to plan work, and to deliver results. The phases are all connected and happen whenever a new group come together to develop a new goal. It sounds as if their is a fair bit of storming going on in your back yard and the beginnings of some Norming which you cna play your part in by simply asking questions eg Does that mean we need to do such and such ? Or what stage are we at with the development of the new plan, or how many goals do we have again and which ones are the compulsary ones, or whatever but ask questions and seek clarity. Your leaders are seeking clarity and alignment from all concerned and if things are not clear and you like others are not heading the the right, same direction then that will be a concern for them, and a powerful situation for you. Fullan a flash writer who talks about change, points out that with change no-one knows the exact direction of where it will all go so hence the uneasiness and the insecurity. Being patient and doing the right thing is a cool and it already sounds as if you are just getting on with things, in fact getting ahead of others with your reflections and now a person who could mentor others on Digital and Collaborative Learning if their goals are overlapping with yours
    Thanks Heaps Alison for Letting Go and allowing US fellow bloggers to express ourselves once you put it out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Callum for all you have said, it really helps and the name dropping of the different authors, I will be looking those up. I love the forming-storming-norming-performing model of group development that you talk about and it allows me to see order and visualise what is occurring and to know this is how is it when new groups are being formed. Your suggestions of seeking clarification on points I am unsure of is a great idea, whether I have just missed what has been said or whether it has just not been made clear, by asking for clarification I will gain that better understanding and will be able to move forwards more confidently in the direction that is required and not feel so unsure about whether what I am doing is on the right lines. Thanks again.

      Delete