Friday 27 May 2016

Week 27 - APC - Broader Professional Context: From consumers to creators



From consumers to creators


What work will my children be doing in 2030? Future State (2030) highlights this important question which came from public questions to the government. My own son will be 23 and writing this blog has allowed me the opportunity to reflect on whether or not what he is learning in school is really relevant to what he needs to be learning? Or whether what I am teaching in my own classroom is important and/or relevant to what those students really need to be able to survive and thrive in 2030? It also allows me to turn my attention to how does my role as a teacher and collaborator need to change to enable further changes to take place within my classroom, my school and the community.

Although we can haphazard a guess at what things may look like in the future it is hard to prepare student for jobs that don't actually exist yet and for futures that we can't actually see or comprehend. For example, if we went back 100 years and told them that they would be able to hold pieces of metal in their hands and chat with someone anywhere in the world, would they have believe us? Or even been able to visualize what we have now in this world?  So, anything could happen or be coming in the future? Imagine if technology no longer exists in 100 year? Can't imagine that? My point exactly! 

Some current issues that have been highlighted in reports such as, Global trends: The world is changing faster than at any time in human history (2015) and KPMG - Future State 2030 - Global Megatrends (2014), allow us to contemplate problems the future generations needs to be prepared for. The need to increase food production to feed the ever-growing population, estimated to reach 8.3 billion by 2030 (future state 2030) or the deficit that has been identified between water demand and supply, estimated to reach 40% by 2030. Will we all be eating insects and living under plastic sheets to enable the production of water through wide-scale condensation towers? Can't imagine that either?

The current initiative on rethinking our schools is a long overdue one in my own opinion, not just because of the speed of advances in digital technology in industry and the slow uptake by the educational system,  but also because so many individuals have been failed by the old style system - even when it was 'new initiative'. I for one, was one of those 'failures' - Labelled a disruptive student, I struggled to sit still in lessons, struggled to take in and understand what was being said when the lessons consisted of just 'teacher talk' 'blackboard learning' and boring book-work, and as far as my reading skills went...well my mother would love to tell you the story ......" you know Alison, at the age of 14 you had a reading age of 10 and look at you now".  Nobody picked up on the fact, that the teachers of my practical subject wrote glowing reports about me, it's rather ironic I ended up going back to school at the grand age of 27 to study Equine Studies, a primarily practical-based course, and in which again I received glowing reports from my lecturers.

Anyway I digress, what I am trying to get across is that things should of changed long again, to offer all students, and I mean all students, opportunities to learn in a way that best suited them. I love to see the transformation of my students belief in themselves when they arrive in my class after being labelled 'disruptive' in another class. I have the privilege to teach a practical hands-on subject and it is just heart warming when a student realizes that he is not disruptive, rather he has just not had the opportunity to learn in a way that suits his needs. If changes had been made long ago maybe we would not be in a situation where we have a big hulk of students being identified as priority learners? (ERO 2012). I suppose, hindsight is a wonderful thing and the important thing is that we are now addressing how schools need to change to allow all students the opportunity to experience success and to develop skills which will allow them to reach their full potential and contribute to the economy and society as a whole. Here's another thought... a student spends 40 hours learning how to write an essay correctly versus a student spends 40 hours learning how to grow vegetables properly.... going on the prediction of the food shortage in 2030 I know which class I would want my son to be in, that's not to say that being in both classes would be the preference and produce the most benefit to the learner.

As an educator, I am excited and motivated to provide students with individual learning programs that will cater for the diverse needs of all students. Although I have always been an advocate for relevant and authentic learning programs my own context of practice has begun to change and develop further over this year, thanks to Mindlab. I have implemented and trialed (and failed, and tried again) such learning initiatives as gamification, game-based learning, project-based and inquiry learning, digital tools, blended learning, digital assessment to identify learners progress and needs. These programs and initiative,  although at a primitive stage, embrace the opportunities that allow students to gain a deeper learning experience and tries hard to get away from the predominate 'old school' teacher talk/workbook style lesson.  I have also had student-voice comments like "I have learnt so much in this subject", "why can all subjects be taught like this". The overarching idea is to use new initiatives to try to enable students to take ownership of their own learning and for the learner to see the relevancy of what they are learning in a way that they can apply it into their own 'outside' lives, both now and in the future. Student should no longer be viewed as passive recipients instead I believe it is our responsibility to adapt and metamorphose our learning programs to enable students to take an active role in their own learning needs. 

The development of technology has provides a springboard to adapt our learning programs to better equip our students with a useful and future focused skill-set, improve confidence in their ability and provide students with a positive attitude that will enable them to take an active and informed role in their futures, coupled with a belief that they can make a difference. Not only this but it also enables educators to deepen their own understanding and knowledge to produce suitable learning programs and environments in which these leanings are uncovered, explored and embraced. The development of digital technology has also enable the educator to gain skills, to try and fail - and try again, to gain and offer advice, reflections and ideas by connecting across a variety of learning platforms and collaborative learning spaces and professional supportive groups that are now available. This has further driven the movement towards providing authentic, cultural responsive and curriculum-rich learning programs. Making use of technology that is now available to better suit our students learning needs of today is essential. It allows our students to experience and develop skills that will enable them to become life-long-learners and take an active role in their future. As well as this it allows the educator to develop their own subject and pedagogical knowledge and just as important, their own key competency skills, thus providing excellent role models to future generations.

..................Just keep swimming, just keep swimming

(Picture Source:  http://hacklearning.org/)


References


Evaluation at a Glance: Priority Learners in New Zealand Schools (2012)
http://www.ero.govt.nz/publications/evaluation-at-a-glance-priority-learners-in-new-zealand-schools/

KPMG Australia. (2014). Future State 2030 - Global Megatrends. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5SwtapHl8

Pearson. (2013, April 26). Global trends: The world is changing faster than at any time in human history. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdZiTQy3g1g

The RSA.(2010, Oct 14). RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U.

The NMC Horizon Report: 2015 K-12 Edition (2015)
http://cdn.nmc.org/media/2015-nmc-horizon-report-k12-EN.pdf


 








6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts an insight into future education. I completely agree with you that the future is developing so rapidly it is important to teach skills rather than content. Your programme being hands of and engaging those who may struggle with more 'academic' based skills is very interesting, and indeed important.
    I have also been reflecting on the idea that the future of education is skills based and those being collaboration, innovation and problem based. It is a shame that we only report to the Ministry the reading, writing, and math skills in the form of testing. I think that if we look a little deeper at our struggling students, it is often them, who can work well with other people, utilising the academic skills of others to develop ideas and complete projects. This is not piggy-backing, or copying, but collaboration. Students who struggle with reading or writing may have excellent oral and team work skills. They can work, like we do in real life, by using other people's strengths. I like you, wonder what the world will look like in 10, 20 or even 50 years. Take a look at Futurism.com, I think you would like it. And here's a link to my blog, just in case you're interested! http://carolynatmarshland.weebly.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn,
      Thank you for reading my post. I have just read yours, we appear to have very similar thoughts on what constituents to a worthwhile and valid education and learning environment. I totally agree with you that the assessments we are expecting our student to sit are not in line with the ideas that are being formed as to how we should be changing our classroom pedagogy and learning programs. I am in hope and think this is just a minor blip and that in a short time they will better reflect the 21st century learners needs. I also had a look at your school blog, I loved the idea of a pop up kitchen. The students all looked like they are having great fun learning important skills and taking part in an authentic learning project. I have also been trialing a student-led blog, you can have a look here if you like http://tkcollaghort9.blogspot.co.nz/ Thanks again for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alison, once again a thought-provoking and personal read. I really enjoy your blogs. The aspect of student as creator is a really interesting one and I like hearing how you've implemented that within your classes. It's cool that yours can truly create - their vegetables - and see such tangible examples for their efforts. It's making me consider how I can allow my students those opportunities - to grow and create within the context of my community of practice?
    My TAI is focussing on collaboration on onenote but I see that as a starting point for the students to develop and create their own resources. I recently held a PD session on SWAY and really enjoying seeing how I can use that as a teaching tool but also how students can create their own work which I can embed within it to become part of the lesson itslef. I hope to draw on student interests and motivations to help those who don't find it easy to be switched on at school as you yourself describe feeling. I've discovered a girl im my Year 10 class has a blog with almost 2000 followers on vegan food and was the offical photographer at the recent vegan food show - how cool is that! I'd be letting my learners down if I don't try to allow this sort of creativity and authentic learning to become a part of our learning. Your ideas and thoughts on this are really encouraging, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, Thank you for commenting on my blog. I actually want to say thank you to you and all the other amazing people I have met and spoken to whilst completing this course. Having such a positive support group has given me the confidence to share my thoughts and ideas more than I have in the past and to try to push ahead with implementing some of these ideas. Thank you :)

      So, how amazing is that that you have a student who has that many followers on her blog..should could be able to teach us a thing or two. It always amazes me as we rush from one lesson to the next and how we miss having chats with the students to find out what their passions are and what they are up to in their outside life. This is something I want to amend in my busy life, finding out who my students really are! It seems to have such a positive effect on their attitude to their studies when I do do this.

      We have moved to onenote/365 so I would be interested to share stories about what you have found good and bad etc.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alison
    Your personal story is a good example of growth mindset. Would you mind if i share that with my growth mindset inquiry class
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meeta, We would feel honored if you did that. Thank you for you positive comment.

      Delete